Quick Menu >>
AIDS Legal Services Project
Center for Civic Mediation
County Bar Update
Docs on Demand
Domestic Violence Project
Immigration Legal Assistance Project
Judicial Council Forms
Know Your Judges
LA Superior Court
Los Angeles Lawyer
Searchable Civil Register
Trial Advocacy Project
For the Public
LA County Bar
Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
Kids in Need of Defense
Supervising Attorney for Pro Bono Programs
Los Angeles, CA 90071 United States
Background: Kids In Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. KIND is dedicated to providing both pro bono representation and positive systemic changes in law and policy to benefit unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Los Angeles.
Responsibilities: KIND seeks a Supervising Attorney for Pro Bono Programs to help manage and oversee the provision of pro bono legal representation to unaccompanied children through KIND's network of major law firms and corporate partners in Los Angeles. This includes supervising the work and staff of KIND's office in Los Angeles; serving as a regional focal point in striving to implement KIND's vision of ensuring that no child appear in immigration court alone; promoting volunteer support through outreach to and cultivation of relationships with local law firms, corporate legal departments, and other possible sources of pro bono representation; and serving as the primary liaison between KIND's headquarters and its offices in Washington, DC.
The Supervising Attorney does not provide direct legal representation to unaccompanied children but will be responsible for facilitating their pro bono representation. He or she will report to KIND's National Legal Services Director.
The Supervising Attorney will have the following responsibilities:
1) Supervise KIND staff in Los Angeles in close consultation with KIND's National Legal Service Director and other Headquarters staff;
2) Assist in the development of strategies to increase pro bono representation of unaccompanied immigrant children;
3) Match child clients with pro bono attorneys;
4) Recruit, train, and provide hands-on mentorship to volunteer attorneys representing unaccompanied children in immigration matters;
5) Assist in developing and managing KIND relationships with law firms and corporate counsel; and
6) Coordinate day to day office management and administration including ensuring data integrity.
Education, training, experience:
Qualifications for the Ideal Candidate:
1) A licensed attorney, preferably in California;
2) At least four to eight years' experience practicing immigration, which should include preparing and representing immigrants and asylum seekers before immigration authorities, or substantially equivalent experience;
3) Prior supervisory experience;
4) Experience working in family law and/or probate law a plus;
5) Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
6) A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
7) Excellent writing and public speaking/training skills;
8) Fluency in Spanish required;
9) An understanding of the private law firm and corporate pro bono culture and the ability to be a well-respected and effective representative of the program to all stakeholders; and
10) Ability to work collaboratively and to handle multiple demands in a busy work environment.
Copyright © 2009 Association Career Network. All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions
DISCLAIMER AND PROPRIETARY NOTICE