Job Seeker Home
(this posting is closed/inactive)
Disability Rights California
Supervising Clients Rights Advocate
Los Angeles, CA 90017 United States
Disability Rights California provides a generous benefit package that includes: medical, dental, flexible spending accounts (e.g., medical and dependent care), basic, life, short- and long-term disability insurances; voluntary vision, supplemental life and long-term care; paid holiday, sick and vacation time-off; and a significant company contribution to the retirement plan.
Disability Rights California is a well-established innovative non-profit organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Californians with disabilities. Disability Rights California works to achieve fairness and justice for people with disabilities through quality representation, advocacy, investigations of abuse and neglect, peer/self advocacy services, community partnerships, legislative and regulatory advocacy work, education and outreach. Our legal work includes individual and impact litigation.
Disability Rights California has entered into a contract with the Department of Developmental Services (DDS), State of California, to provide Clients’ Rights Advocacy services at each of the 21 regional centers located statewide. The contract was renewed effective July 1, 2011 for another 5 years. The contract will expire June 30, 2016.
These services include, among other things, technical assistance on the rights of people with developmental disabilities to regional center consumers, their families, agency staff, and interested community members, direct representation in selected cases, and investigation of any right to which a regional center consumer is entitled which has been abused, punitively withheld, or improperly or unreasonably denied.
This is a full time position located in our Los Angeles Regional Office. The Supervising CRA is a member of the management team that designs and implements OCRA policy and procedures and ensures provision of quality services by OCRA. This position provides ongoing supervision, consultation and technical assistance to Clients’ Rights Advocates in their duties to assist and/or directly represent persons with developmental disabilities in pursuing administrative and legal remedies.
Education, training, experience:
The following qualifications must be met:
1. California State Bar membership; or eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program (admitted to practice in another state and eligible to practice in California for three years under the California State Bar rules for the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program, and required admittance to the California Bar within three years.)
2. Two or more years experience in employee supervision and management.
3. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
4. Demonstrated ability to analyze complex problems and develop creative solutions.
5. A working knowledge of the legal, civil and service rights of persons with developmental disabilities in California.
6. Demonstrated experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons with disabilities.
7. Demonstrated experience working with and/or sensitivity to persons from multi-ethnic and/or underserved communities.
8. Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively with a variety of organizations and individuals with diverse perspectives, including persons with disabilities, administrators, advocacy groups and the public, and to maintain confidentiality in all matters.
9. Valid California driver’s license and ability and willingness to drive (unless a disability related accommodation is required and can be reasonably provided).
Copyright © 2009 Association Career Network. All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions
DISCLAIMER AND PROPRIETARY NOTICE